I agree with you totally.  My sentiment was that there have also been many accidents
caused by ATC talking in a foreign language (English) to another pilot who also
doesn't speak English as a first language.  The possible problems which can be
introduced by a conversation in effect being translated twice are huge.  OK, they may
be far less than if everyone was speaking the same language, but it still holds
potential for serious errors.  It just goes to show that we'll probably never reach an
ideal state of affairs with respect to communication.

Since the furthest I've flown is 30nm and I don't live in the SE of the UK then this
doesn't really affect me at the moment.  So I'll shut up ;-)

All the best,

Matt