"Ampere K. Hardraade" said:

> For the textures, I was wondering whether it will be possible to have a set of
> textures for every airline.  For example, if the player wants to fly KLM, the
> command line can be --aircraft=MD-11-KLM; if the player wants to fly Swiss,
> then the command line can be --aircraft=MD-11-Swiss.  Can this be done?

It could, but not easily or at least not easily enough that someone has
exceeded the "interested enough to code it" threshold.  It won't be on my list.

> I also have some questions regarding how FlightGear handles models.
> 1.  How should the model be positioned in the 3D program: should the center of
> gravity locate at [0,0,0], or should the very left side of the aircraft be
> [0,y,z], the bow be [x,0,z], and the landing gear rest of [x,y,0]?

Probably you'll want to position the 3D model at an identifiable nose location
at 0,0,0 with most aircraft.  The FDM configs can be built around that assumption.

> 2.  Currently, I am using 1 unit = 10 centimeters as the scale in the 3D
> program that I am using.  What should the actual value be?  1 unit = 1 meter?

Yes.

> 3.  How does the LOD system in FlightGear works?  Is it capable of assigning
> different parts of the aircraft with different LOD?  Meaning, can the LOD of
> the engines change while that of the fuselage remains the same?

Use "range" animation type. See the 3D Aircraft Model Mini-HOWTO document at:
http://cvs.flightgear.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/docs/Model/fgfs-model-howto.html?rev=1.8&cvsroot=FlightGear-0.9

> 4.  Must the under carriages be included or does FlightGear allow parts
> sharing between models?

You can combine model files and animate them seperately or as a group.  See
the p51-d,  pa28-161, j3cub, 747 3D instrument models as examples.

> 5.  Must there be textures?  If I want to leave some parts blank, will that
> create any problem?

Not at all.

Best,

Jim