On Monday 24 Jan 2005 13:37, Oliver C. wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2005 11:05, Erik Hofman wrote:
> > Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > > Thanks for this explanation. Why does it only seem to work one way? The
> > > description 'enhanced lighting' is not particularly helpful.
> >
> > Oh, this is about enhanced (runway) lighting. That's a different story,
> > I was talking about specular highlights which the original was talking
> > about also.
>
> No, i was talking about enhanced runway lightning, this is
> what i get when running flightgear with this option:
>  --enable-enhanced-lighting
>
> I was not talking about specular highlights.
>
> > > Why is it so expensive of frame-rate?
> >
> > This is very hardware and driver dependent. Some OpenGL features are
> > just not implemented in hardware on some display adapters.
>
> The only consumer videocards we have today are from Ati and NVidia,
> do their newest models support this?
> If not, then we should move it to the advanced options.
>
> I also want to mention, that MS FS2004 has something similar, but without
> framerate drop, so there must be another way to display runway lights in
> such a way.
>
> Best Regards,
>  Oliver C.

I've also been confused by the monumental frame drop that even the simple
runway lighting can produce at airports such as EGLL.

And I do have a fairly hefty system which has been known to run graphical
behemoths like Doom3 at a fair lick.

The obvious response from the 'non-programmers' perspective ie: 'user' is:

"Why on earth do these little dots bring my new Model-X video card to its
knees?"

So what's the crack? ;)

Dave Martin