* Martin Spott -- Sunday 23 April 2006 22:14:
> Terra-/FlightGear is able to distinguish between the landcover types
> listed here - [...]

Thanks. Interesting. But doesn't tell if one and the same shrub type is
used for dry (as in bay area) and for green areas (as I'm used to). Also,
looking at material.xml, for example, in

 <name>ShrubCover</name>
 <name>ShrubGrassCover</name>
 <texture>Terrain/shrub.rgb</texture>
 <texture>Terrain/shrub2.rgb</texture>
 <texture>Terrain/shrub3.rgb</texture>

we are mapping two types to three different textures. Wouldn't it make
more sense to map "ShrubCover" and "ShrubGrassCover" to different
textures? This wouldn't use more space, but possibly match reality
better. I would assume that ShrubCover is greener than ShrubGrassCover.
This would replace some randomness (which is great) with more reality
(which is greater :-).

Theoretically, we could also use one and the same texture in two entries
with different state values (ambient/diffuse), without using up more
texture memory. No idea if that would yield acceptable values, though.

m.