On 03/11/2007, Melchior FRANZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * David Megginson -- Saturday 03 November 2007:
> > I wasn't looking at any NASAL code.  Is the NASAL code enabled
> > by default?
>
> While you were away, we got support for automatically saving GUI
> settings to an ~/.fgfs/autosave.xml file, and you might have
> enabled dynamic view at some fgfs run, and now you get it until
> you turn it off again. You wouldn't be the first to interpret
> that as an unwelcome default setting.  :-)

That was it.  I was also mislead by seeing

      <dynamic-view type="bool">true</dynamic-view>

In $FG_ROOT/preferences.xml, without noticing

    <dynamic>
      <enabled type="bool" userarchive="y">false</enabled>
    </dynamic>

just below it.  I have no problem with having it as a feature -- it's
a neat and original idea -- but it might be worth reconsidering the
up/down movement.  While pulling back on the yoke/stick may make a jet
fighter shoot upwards, with a regular plane it's just as likely
intended to slow the plane down.  One of the first points made in the
classic book "Stick and Rudder" (worth reading for any real or sim
pilot) is that the yoke/stick is *not* an up/down control.

All the best,

David