* LeeE -- Monday 11 February 2008:
> It'll be interesting if you can come up with rules or a formulae
> from your analysis of a large set of METAR data.

Formulae is an overstatement. :-)
What I have ATM is very simple:

  http://members.aon.at/mfranz/humid_vis.png  [14.0 kB]

Whereby the maximum (and with it the slope of the line) should be
configurable and default to 80 or something. This would only
be used if a data set contains "farther than x km".

The values are just too unprecise for anything more sophisticated.
The (simple) humidity calculation has gaps (A, B) because the
temperatures are stated as integers, and many/most of the visibility
ranges are probably estimated by the weather guy/gal, and very
often just say ">10km". This can be anything, as the estimation
isn't possible everywhere, or people only use a few reference
points (as in "radio tower clearly visible  =>  more than 10km").
The horizontal bands are at 10 km, 5 miles, 10 miles 15 miles, etc.
(C, D).

The problem is also that very dry places are likely more
dusty, and that airports are often near bigger cities so
that visibility values are influenced a lot by smog. That's
why the red line looks a bit (and *is* a bit) arbitrary, and
why I will *again* use a conservative default setting. :-)

One effect that could also be considered is wind speed.
~7 m/s seems to give best visibility. (Less allows smog
accumulation, more causes more dust.) I found the effect
mentioned in some google hits, albeit without number.

m.