> But I like the idea to make an educated guess based on
> other METAR values, and I plan to implement that later
> today. I'll use a large set of stored METAR messages with
> specified (i.e. non-9999 or M*) visibility to see which
> elements (other than humidity) have a correlation with the
> visibility. BTW: the biggest numbers that I found were
> 110 miles (KMWN Mount Washington -- not in our DB -- but
> there's a KHIE Mount Washington Rgnl!?). (That's assuming
> that the 9000 km from HAAB were a mistake. ;-)
You might also take weather phenomena into account. When there is something
like FG (fog) it is most likely that the poor visibility is limited to only
the lower few hundret feet or so. There might be something like blown sand in
some areas of the world that creates a poor visibility in a METAR in a
perfect dry atmosphere without any clouds and perfect VMC (except for
landing).

Greetings, Torsten