Tim Moore wrote:

> Is it practical to use the Landsat classification stuff you guys have demoed
> on
> your web pages to generate our own coastline data?

It has already been done. The result is PGS (sorry for the horrid url):

http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/nga01/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&itemID=9328fbd8dcc4a010VgnVCMServer3c02010aRCRD&beanID=1629630080&viewID=Article

It still has some breaks in it where the coastline was obscured by cloud
  in the source data, but it does seem to be far more accurate than
other sources. It has been imported into OpenStreetMap and tweaked to
fill in the gaps/correct any errors (there are plenty of people editing,
so no manpower worries) - it's probably not usable *yet* but provides
the best freely available source, and should probably be considered for
a scenery builds at some point in the future.

Jon