On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:59:34 +0000 (UTC), Martin wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Erik Hofman wrote:
>
> > I believe (with a big questionmark) that boost works fine with
> > MIPSpro nowadays, but I wouldn't argue against it if it didn't.
>
> Well, for approx. two years now (rough guess) FlightGear reportedly -
> from different places - requires some GCC-isms to compile on Unix-
> Systems anyway. So it's not a question about wether the _dependencies_
> are "portable" (TM) - OSG for example compiles and works nicely on
> Solaris, even on IRIX using their 'native' compilers and I've also
> been successful in compiling 'boost' on Solaris.
> Instead, some places in FlightGear itself (at least Nasal and JSBSim,
> as far as I remember) are the factors that limit portability.
>
> I'm getting asked regularly about the state of support for FlightGear
> on OpenSolaris. So, if there's someone looking for a headache, this
> might be a good place to start  ;-))

.."headache", you're viciously wicked! ;o)  Last time I heard
about OpenSolaris, was on http://groklaw.net/ where the issues
were the legal nature of their licensing, not technological,
Sun's CDDL is not compatible with the GPL by design, under
Sun's own corporate legal policy.  Further background:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&q=site%3Agroklaw.net+GPL+CDDL&btnG=Search

..bottom line is "do not mix GPL code with CDDL code."  Can be
extended to "find some OpenSolaris guy to do the CDDL coding",
as that will allow "licensing apartheid", to prevent litigation,
you want firm borders around your work.  Recent developments:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=OpenSolaris+license+site%3Agroklaw.net&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=OpenSolaris+license&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: