Tim Moore wrote:

> I've been working on effects support for FlightGear, as part of the
> work I've been doing on integrating shadows into the OSG version.
> Roughly speaking an effect is like a material for an object, but it
> can support different techniques based on OpenGL features and user
> choices. Each technique is multipass and of course supports
> shaders. Anyway, in doing this work I've been using the Boost
> library from boost.org, and I'd like to introduce it as a new
> dependency in FlightGear. I've used its rich support for working
> with STL iterators and binding functions for use with STL
> algorithms. More generally, I like Boost's implementation of the
> TR1 libraries that are being introduced in the C++0x
> standardization process (including a standard hash table
> implementation). Boost contains a ton of well-tested, useful code.
>
> I know that Boost is well supported on Linux and see that it is on
> Windows as well, though I have no direct experience with that. Are
> there any objections to or comments about adding Boost as a
> FlightGear dependency?

I use Boost under Windows at work and for my current project, without
any problem. I remember we tried to include some chunk of Boost
inside Simgear in the past but had some problems with old compilers
( MipsPro ? ) and removed it. Maybe it is time to reconsider this.
Boost is an incredible toolkit and our OSG version should already
require competent compilers that are supported by Boost.

-Fred

--
Frédéric Bouvier
http://my.fotolia.com/frfoto/              Photo gallery - album photo