Hi Tim,

Tim Moore wrote:

> I haven't looked at NYC in a while, but our urban areas tend to get
> clobbered, particularly when the scenery guys strut their stuff for a new
> release.

The vast majority of the changes I've recently pushed to the Base
Backage CVS had either been moving/sorting files between directories or
updating files in order to reflect the past ambient colour change. Very
few 'new' files have been added, mostly lightweight stuff and, as far
as I remember, none of these affect the NYC area.

BTW, even the forementioned 'new' stuff has been around on the usual
download locations either at "http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/"; or
via TerraSync (the NYC Scenery hasn't been part of the Base Package
anyway). Therefore I'm unable to identify a reasonable cause why recent
changes from the Scenery department should be having a noticeable
impact in terms of runtime performance, you might have to go finding
another culprit  :-)

> The ideal would be to coalesce all the buildings in a city block into one
> model with one texture.

We're doing our best to prevent this ....
Actually one could think of adding a preprocessing stage between the
'raw' ressources (Terrain and AC3D models) and the FlightGear runtime
environment by collapsing 1x1 degree or smaller area tiles into a
single Scenery file of a format to be choosen, but as long as
Sim-/FlightGear doesn't provide the infrastructure to deal with this
flavour of Scenery (including all the animation stuff and the like), I
don't see us getting there too soon.

Cheers,
        Martin.