On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Moore wrote:
>
> > I haven't looked at NYC in a while, but our urban areas tend to get
> > clobbered, particularly when the scenery guys strut their stuff for a new
> > release.
>
> The vast majority of the changes I've recently pushed to the Base
> Backage CVS had either been moving/sorting files between directories or
> updating files in order to reflect the past ambient colour change. Very
> few 'new' files have been added, mostly lightweight stuff and, as far
> as I remember, none of these affect the NYC area.

I'm referring here to KSFO, and the only change I can point to is that new
KSFO scenery is now in the base package. I tend to be lazy and use that for
most of my testing.

> BTW, even the forementioned 'new' stuff has been around on the usual
> download locations either at "http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/"; or
> via TerraSync (the NYC Scenery hasn't been part of the Base Package
> anyway). Therefore I'm unable to identify a reasonable cause why recent
> changes from the Scenery department should be having a noticeable
> impact in terms of runtime performance, you might have to go finding
> another culprit  :-)
>
> See above. I do need to get with program in terms of using the latest
product of the scenery team.

> > The ideal would be to coalesce all the buildings in a city block into one
> > model with one texture.
>
> We're doing our best to prevent this ....

Teutonic irony, I hope :)

> Actually one could think of adding a preprocessing stage between the
> 'raw' ressources (Terrain and AC3D models) and the FlightGear runtime
> environment by collapsing 1x1 degree or smaller area tiles into a
> single Scenery file of a format to be choosen, but as long as
> Sim-/FlightGear doesn't provide the infrastructure to deal with this
> flavour of Scenery (including all the animation stuff and the like), I
> don't see us getting there too soon.

Perhaps we need an ".stg / .btg" summit to hash out some changes like this.

By the way, the new hotness in terrain visualization seems to be creating
buildings from shape files that encode the height of each building, with a
big texture (extracted from a bigger image) that has an image of each roof.
If you assume that buildings are prisms, an efficient representation of the
building polygons can be created at load time. Any thoughts on that
approach?

Tim