Am 02.03.2012 19:03, schrieb Frederic Bouvier:
> Now that release 2.6 is out, perhaps it is time to discuss further
> developments concerning project Rembrandt.
> Although it may already produce pretty images when used by a talented
> designer (see for example the P92), it is however, not usable by most people.
>
> The Wiki page summarizes the list of things to do. For wider use, we must
> first convert the shaders to 'Rembrandt' rules. It also seems there are
> problems with shadows in multi-threaded modes. Finally, the multi screen
> should be reviewed (I'll leave spherical projection and stereo for another
> time). The other points are are less important and can be treated in the
> "next" branch.
>
> Remains the problem of conversion of aircraft models. One of the constraints
> of Rembrandt is that each model should be modified, or at least reviewed:
>    * Remove the fake shadow
>    * Remove ambient occlusion from textures
>    * Register all transparent surfaces
>    * Review the use of emissive colors
>
> Maybe we need to create a label "Works with Rembrandt" and report models that
> do not comply.
>
> thoughts ?

The best time for adding such a huge change is at the beginning of a
release cycle - which is now. Adding a tag marking the initial commit
might be a good idea, though.

If Rembrandt breaks nearly all aircraft, maybe we should also split off
aircraft from FGDATA before/not later than the start of Rembrandt?

The aircraft rating system can hold a "Rembrandt-ready" label.

Is there any chance to make Rembrandt switchable (on/off) at startup?

Torsten