On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Personally I would think adding Project Rembrandt will call for
> FlightGear version 3.0. So if it is added I would create two branches,
> version 3.0 and version 2.7 in which the later is switched to bug fixes
> only.

Surely a bug-fix 2.7.0 branch is simply just the 2.6.0 maintenance branch?

I'm not aware of any significant development on next so far beyond
RTI from Matthias and some materials work that I've been doing.

> If 3.0 turns out to require more time than expected (I probably know the
> answer to that one) then there's always a really stable version 2.8
> which can be released.

Sounds like a reasonably plan, but let's aim for success :)

On the subject or "Rembrandt Ready" aircraft, I'd prefer not adding
this explicitly to the aircraft status.  If Rembrandt is the rendering
technology
for FG 2.8.0 (or 3.0.0), then aircraft maintainers are responsible for ensuring
their aircraft work with the release, as they would be for any other change to
FDM format etc.

Instead, I'd prefer the approach we'd take with any other change that requires
work by aircraft maintainers. I thought I saw a wiki article
explaining how this
was managed, but I can't find it at present other than this:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aircraft_maintenance

IIRC maintainers are given a reasonable time to make changes themselves,
after which FG core devs go in with a pick-axe and make the changes
themselves. Or am I making that up?

I'm sure with enough volunteers we can split up the 400 aircraft and churn
through them one at a time given a well-defined process from Fred. I'd
guesstimate < 1hr per aircraft.

-Stuart