> Is there a way we can have all three possibilities (default, skydome
> shader, Thorstens atmospheric light scattering) selectable?

Atmospheric light scattering should not be thought as different from skydome
shader - it is the terrain/model/whatnot shader combination consistent with the
skydome shader (and having the skydome shader not creating mismatches with
terrain was the original motivation for developing the atmospheric scattering
framework).

The 2.6 scheme to have a skydome not matching terrain did not only have issues
at high altitudes, it also could not handle poor visibility or sunrise/sunset
lighting in any reasonable way. Not allowing to switch a skydome inconsistent
with the rest of the scene on is not a regression, it is a bugfix in my opinion
:-)

Just my two cents...

* Thorsten