> I've also taken a bit of a look at merging Rembrandt and ALS, and I think
> I understand the Rembrandt pipeline enough that I could add ALS to it.

Just to provide some expectation management:

Rembrandt (as deferred rendering) is very heavy on the fragment shader. ALS at
low quality is currently rather balanced between vertex and fragment shader and
at high quality adds all additional load to the fragment shader. An ALS
implementation in Rembrandt will require that basically all light computations
which are currently in the vertex pipeline move to the fragment shader as well.
That's not a small workload, sunlight is about 100 times heavier to compute in
ALS than in default or Rembrandt (that's what ALS burns framerate for).

I'm currently running ALS at highest quality on a GeForce 670M which is a GPU
on the top-end of the performance scale. With all settings maxed out, this
pretty much guarantees me a framerate of above 20 fps, no matter the weather or
the scenery (with very few pathological exceptions where it drops to 15).

Rembrandt + ALS will be slower than any of them, because of all that additional
stuff which needs to go into the fragment pipeline which will completely choke.

My strong expectation is that even on a top-notch GPU, maxing out all settings
will not work fast enough, so something will be lost if you actually hope to
fly. The GPU to run that framework isn't  sold yet... and I can picture the
crowd of usual suspects shouting 'This is too slow! This is badly implemented!'
once it's actually running. And I a so looking forward to that experience.
(*irony*)

* Thorsten