On 25 Apr 2013, at 22:23, Stuart Buchanan <stuar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for investigating Stuart!

> AFAICT the screenshot directory entry in the GUI does work.  At least on my
> system I can change the screenshot directory via the GUI and record
> screenshots
> to the new directory.

Okay, that's interesting indeed. Keep in mind I've not made an explicit changes
to the screenshot directory code, but I have changed the file picker logic
recently, which I assumed would be the likely cause. However Windows and Linux
use the same code paths for the file-picker.

Based on Vivian's report that the path is bad, something else must be going on
for him (and other Windows users?)

> Well, the Terrasync was caused by adding an additional <nasal><open> block
> at the top of the file, so the one at the bottom was ignored :)

Whoops, that is entirely my fault. Many apologies.

> I've restored the previous behaviour which did allow one to set the directory.
>
> However, on testing, you are absolutely correct - changing has no effect
> within
> the current session.  I'll add a warning message to that effect to the
> dialog.  I think
> it's still useful to be able to set the directory within the sim, even
> if you have to
> restart.
>
> I think I must have added this function under the mistaken impression that it
> had some effect.  Whoops!

Okay, I did always wonder why the option was added :)

Personally I am pushing people to always use the default TerraSync location
unless they are doing 'something special' in which case an entry in fgfsrc
seems a better solution to me. I.e keep the GUI simple for the common case, and
ensure the advanced case is possible via config files.

Changing the code to allow run-time switching of the terrasync dir, and the
scenery paths, is not impossible but it would be a fairly large amount of
effort, not a worthwhile use of time from my point of view.

Regards,
James