From: James Turner [mailto:zakal...@mac.com]
Sent: 26 April 2013 08:50
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Atmospheric Light Scattering

On 25 Apr 2013, at 22:23, Stuart Buchanan <stuar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for investigating Stuart!

AFAICT the screenshot directory entry in the GUI does work.  At least on my
system I can change the screenshot directory via the GUI and record
screenshots
to the new directory.

Okay, that's interesting indeed. Keep in mind I've not made an explicit
changes to the screenshot directory code, but I have changed the file picker
logic recently, which I assumed would be the likely cause. However Windows
and Linux use the same code paths for the file-picker.

Based on Vivian's report that the path is bad, something else must be going
on for him (and other Windows users?)

Well, the Terrasync was caused by adding an additional <nasal><open> block
at the top of the file, so the one at the bottom was ignored :)

Whoops, that is entirely my fault. Many apologies.

I've restored the previous behaviour which did allow one to set the
directory.

However, on testing, you are absolutely correct - changing has no effect
within
the current session.  I'll add a warning message to that effect to the
dialog.  I think
it's still useful to be able to set the directory within the sim, even
if you have to
restart.

I think I must have added this function under the mistaken impression that
it
had some effect.  Whoops!

Okay, I did always wonder why the option was added :)

Personally I am pushing people to always use the default TerraSync location
unless they are doing 'something special' in which case an entry in fgfsrc
seems a better solution to me. I.e keep the GUI simple for the common case,
and ensure the advanced case is possible via config files.

Changing the code to allow run-time switching of the terrasync dir, and the
scenery paths, is not impossible but it would be a fairly large amount of
effort, not a worthwhile use of time from my point of view.

Regards,

James