On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Renk Thorsten <thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi>wrote:

> > I've also taken a bit of a look at merging Rembrandt and ALS, and I think
> > I understand the Rembrandt pipeline enough that I could add ALS to it.
>
> Just to provide some expectation management:
>
> Rembrandt (as deferred rendering) is very heavy on the fragment shader.
> ALS at low quality is currently rather balanced between vertex and fragment
> shader and at high quality adds all additional load to the fragment shader.
> An ALS implementation in Rembrandt will require that basically all light
> computations which are currently in the vertex pipeline move to the
> fragment shader as well. That's not a small workload, sunlight is about 100
> times heavier to compute in ALS than in default or Rembrandt (that's what
> ALS burns framerate for).
>
> I don't think it's quite that bad. In a deferred shader like Rembrandt,
the ALS would run in the deferred lighting pass. While it's true that the
heavy work is done in a fragment shader, it only runs for each pixel on the
screen, not for every rendered fragment. Also, in many cases the sky would
take up a large portion of the out-the-window scene; is computing ALS for
the blue sky as expensive as for an object in the scene? Not to mention
that you don't need to run ALS in the cockpit...

Tim