Stuart

> Sent: 25 April 2013 22:24
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Atmospheric Light Scattering
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> >> Right now FG seems like a mess with lots of things which "used to
> >> work
> >> (tm)":
> >>
> >>         Screenshot directory entry in the gui  doesn't work
> >>
> >>         Ditto Terrasync directory
> >>
> >>         Tree textures are misaligned (here anyway)
> >>
> >>         Manual Weather Input.
> >>
> >>         Effects as above.
> >>
> >> I know that this isn't all  to do with you -
> >
> > Well, two of these at least are within my bailiwick (tree textures and
> > manual weather input).  Manual weather input is on my TODO list, and
> > I'll address the tree texture issue in the other thread.
>
> I've just pushed a fix for the weather issue.  I found two bugs in it
which I've
> fixed, but there may be more as it's quite a complex dialog.  FYI I'm also
> planning to move some of the buttons around a bit.  I think the changes
you
> (vivian) made are an improvement in terms of making the configuration
> options more understandable, but I can improve the layout slightly I
think.

> AFAICT the screenshot directory entry in the GUI does work.  At least on
my
> system I can change the screenshot directory via the GUI and record
> screenshots to the new directory.

Not here. It seems to be stuck at this weird default value:

C:/Program Files/FlightGear-nightly-2010/osgPlugins-3.0.1

Why there - decidedly odd? Win 7 will not permit a program to write to
Program Files, so it fails. I can't enter any different value, or navigate
above "Program Files" using the gui. I have tried deleting the value in
AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\autosave_2_11.xml (which I wouldn't expect a
user to do - or even find), but neither doing that nor anything else I can
think of has fixed it.

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM, James Turner wrote:
> > I suspect both of these are my 'fault', but equally I was only made
> > aware of the TerraSync one a few weeks ago, and the screenshot one,
> > this is the first I've heard of it.
>
> Well, the Terrasync was caused by adding an additional <nasal><open> block
> at the top of the file, so the one at the bottom was ignored :)
>
> <snip>
> > In the particular case of the Terrasync path I am especially confused
> > because it's not possible to change the terrasync path once fgfs is
> > running, as never has been as far as I know; since we can't adjust
> > scenery paths with restarting the sim. So, to re-iterate, the defect
> > really needs to explain what the intended use-case was here, since I am
> clueless.
>
> I've restored the previous behaviour which did allow one to set the
directory.

> However, on testing, you are absolutely correct - changing has no effect
> within the current session.  I'll add a warning message to that effect to
the
> dialog.  I think it's still useful to be able to set the directory within
the sim,
> even if you have to restart.
>
> I think I must have added this function under the mistaken impression that
it
> had some effect.  Whoops!

It would be nice to be able to direct the output of Terragear at run time
without restarting, (we can do that with Scenarios - thanks James), but  if
that is not possible  then after a restart will do. I don't remember if we
used to need a restart - I suppose we must have done. What was the pull-down
in the menu item for?

Nearly back to square one - well done.

Vivian