Dr Alan Kay addressed the html design a number of times in his lectures and keynotes. Here are two:

[1] Alan Kay, How Complex is "Personal Computing"?". Normal" Considered Harmful. October 22, 2009, Computer Science department at UIUC.
     http://media.cs.uiuc.edu/seminars/StateFarm-Kay-2009-10-22b.asx
    (also see http://www.smalltalk.org.br/movies/ )

[2] Alan Kay, "The Computer Revolution Hasn't Happened Yet", October 7, 1997, OOPSLA'97 Keynote.
     Transcript
http://blog.moryton.net/2007/12/computer-revolution-hasnt-happened-yet.html
     Video
http://ftp.squeak.org/Media/AlanKay/Alan%20Kay%20at%20OOPSLA%201997%20-%20The%20computer%20revolution%20hasnt%20happened%20yet.avi