Thanks for the pointers, Alan. The LOCUS stuff looks interesting.

WRT to the web browser as OS not application, you'd think Google would've
pushed ChromeOS further in that direction. I will say that  modern browsers
consume memory like they're full-blown OSes(Chrome is using about 922MB of
memory on my machine). Maybe that's on their roadmap,  but won't be
plausible until NaCl is more mature. ChromeOS won't be interesting to me as
a platform unless it can enable web media to shine in a way that it couldn't
just as something in the browser on traditional PC OSes (e.g. WebGL
performance on ChromeOS should approach accelerated graphics performance of
a native OpenGL program) .

I think what we're facing is people who are trying to make the web model
subsume all(or too much) of computing, which then limits the applications
that can be built based on that model. Is it possible design and deploy an
architecture that supersets the web architecture. Take for instance, suppose
client-server or point-to-point communication is a special-case supported by
some peer-to-peer architecture. Maybe the DOM could be an instance of a more
expressive, compact presentation model and API.

I'm just wondering how to get from where we are to someplace better, but
want to consult those who may know of good maps already.

-Cornelius