> As is available on the page referenced in every communication about the
> removal of fallback?
> https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode
>
> If people skip reading it intentionally, they'll only see the headline
> and make their (uninformed) comments.
>
> This is pretty much what happened.

That's pretty much what was happening.  People read the headline and then
think "GNOME is getting rid of features" and then start grumbling again.
The whole GNOME is removing stuff is a widespread meme that just
propagates.  A lot from people still angry from the 1.0 days I think.

I sometimes vacillate from "get over it" to trying to explain the
situation.  It depends on how deep the thread is. :-)