On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Michael T. Pope <mp...@computer.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 00:21:37 +0200
> win...@genial.ms wrote:
> > I thought the discussion died off when everyone realized that for a page
> with
> > 1 or 2 updates a year anything but static html ( plus maybe something
> like a
> > markdown converter on the devs pc ) is a waste of time,
>
> That is slightly overstated, but mostly correct ATM.  The last two
> releases have required me to grab the four(?) pages that need to change,
> locally edit the HTML (usually duplicating a previous paragraph and
> incrementing the release numbers), and uploading them again.  It took less
> than 15 minutes last time, and that included adding some doco
> to .../doc/developer.tex.  That is about right in terms of required
> effort from the release manager IMHO.  It is certainly better than the old
> situation.

There is a reason why editing HTML files directly have fallen out of favor.
It's almost like a program with out loops (sure on a small scale it works,
but image you're processing a database and you have to call each cell
individually rather than looping through them).

That said, you're correct in that there is not a huge need for FreeCol to
run on a super advanced CMS setup. Even something like WordPres should work
if only because it so simple. Tagging articles with the correct category
(and the right template) could be a solution that's fairly easy to
implement. Especially if Mr. Aquilina is willing to help.

> However, we are only doing point releases.  A major release would be a
> bit trickier.  If we ever have someone who actually wanted to add
> interesting content to the site we will probably want something better.  It
> would need to be presentation-heavy content though, something that can not
> be served by just using the wiki[1].

The inherent benefit to a CMS is the scalability involved. Once the right
system is in place, it can be updated indefinitely.

> > as any server-based
> > CMS is adding a million security holes and needs daily updates, to avoid
> having
> > the page hacked constantly?

I disagree, Wordpress seems mostly (insofar as anything ever is) secure
these days. http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

> Mostly agree again, wearing my security professional hat.  What I would
> like to know is if there is some simple robust middle ground between
> editing raw HTML and massive CMSs.

Not for free. There are almost certainly paid solutions available, but that
seems out.

> The criteria for such a system are:
>
> 1. No maintenance required
>    This implies "secure".  A working definition of a "secure" piece of
>    software would be that I have never heard of it in a security context:-)

That's never going to happen. See above. The benefit of an established CMS
such as WordPress is going to the WYSIWYG editing capabilities.

> 2. Fast learning curve
>    Because use is very rare

 Doesn't get easier than WordPress:

   - Write contnet
   - Choose categories
   - Publish

Depending on the complexities of the plugins and theme, I suppose there
could be more to it than that, but there generally doesn't need to be.

3. Someone who has some history with FreeCol wants to set it up and
> look after it

Between the you, Johnathan and I, I think there are enough people to assist
with that.

I would't mind helping with the website if I don't have to worry about
FTPing files and editing source code all the time.

> 4. Looks better than just using the wiki.

[1] Indeed, perhaps we should just migrate the text-heavy parts of the
> old website to the wiki.

 I'm a huge opponent of using the SF-default wiki. It looks horrible. I'd
be on board with using MediaWiki (but you wouldn't like all the security
releases).

Best,

--
*Caleb R. Williams*