On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:17:55 +0200
Jonathan Aquilina <eagles051...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we opt to go with static pages we can setup a website repo and then
> anyone can really make the changes then pull from the repo onto the
> webserver.

I have at last caught up with all the outstanding bugs that needed
attention, so I have time to look at the website again.  Keeping things
simple, I have grabbed a copy of the existing www.freecol.org and committed
it to the FreeCol git tree.  It is about 45M (FreeCol git generally
was about 300M), but I expect a fair portion of that is disconnected or
outdated, so it can be slimmed down significantly.  I plan to work on
upload-the-website and upload-what-has-changed scripts quite soon, and
perhaps some other release-support script/s some time before next
release[1].

The way forward then is for volunteers to work on cleaning up what we have
in the git tree, with the aim of reaching a lightweight set of static
pages.  Once we are there, we can start adding more dynamic content
like the project stats that Jonathan wants.  I have to investigate what
privileges will be needed to upload to the website, that may be tricky.

I am hoping Jonathan and perhaps Caleb will have time to work on this.

Cheers,
Mike Pope