On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:25:52 +0000
Stian Grenborgen <stian...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> > Activity has been weak this year... here is to a better 2022.
>
> I will definitely try to help make that dream come true ;-)
>
> Hoping you also have more time to spend in 2022, Mike!

Well, its a low bar to jump:-)

> > I doubt anyone is opposed to useful code refactorings, but we are *way*
> > overdue to make a release, so the priority should be fix bugs/stabilize
> > ATM.
>
> What are the bugs you consider to be blockers?

The worst problem is that I am seeing severe slow down in large games.
Or rather I was, I need to run my performance tests again following a
computer upgrade.  I suspect replacing an 8 year old machine including
quadrupling the RAM may have helped, but there we already control the
java memory allocation so in theory it should not.  I should stop
speculating and get the numbers.

I will look through the bug list and follow up on other potential
blockers. I posted on the subject a while back.

> ...or should I just keep fixing stuff I encounter while making the game work
> better on 4K?

One of the top suspects for the slow down is the main map redrawing
routines, so I am delighted to see you trying to untangle any part of the
graphics.  Certainly I think "broken on 4K" would count as a blocker.
By all means though, work on what you think is best/interesting/fun.  I am
reluctant to do more than suggest what volunteer developers should do, let
alone the project founder:-).

Cheers,
Mike Pope