Johnson,

>>Arkady spend a lot of time to remove any excess code.
>>Unfortunately he also introduced a couple of bugs.
>>So the naming is probably correct.

> What a waste, I guess no one pick up the job, correct?
the job of introducing even more bugs into the kernel ?
AFAIK no ;)

>>> Slow disk access, FreeDOS is the slowest among EDR-DOS and PTS-DOS ...
>>WHAT 'slow disk access' (other then Lucho reporting this) ?

> His test result have problem?
I don't even know what tests he did.
reporting problems SHOULD include something like

     XCOPY \dir1\*.* \dir2
or   XCOPY \dir1\*.* \dir2 /s
or    COPY \dir1\*.* \dir2
or   using VC version X.Y to copy \dir1 to dir2
or   etc. (here I think the 'etc.' is appropriate)

with a directory nested 5 levels deep, with 352 files, average size
~10 KB

took the following times ....  makes sense.

makes sense. What Lucho comes close to marketing (read 'void of
information').

> Or you found out he did a wrong test?
there is no 'wrong test'. there are irrelevant tests (like XCOPY
only for files of zero byte, or only of 1 GB files), but given that no
further information is available of what he tested, I can't judge.

>>FWIW FreeDOS has read access to files close enough to theoretical
>>throughput.

> Only read?
*I* care for read speed. so *I* optimized read speed (I thinks I did a
reasonable job in that; before it was cruel).

If anybody cares about write speed: this is an open source project.
Take your time, fire up your editor. Call back when you're done.

>>mentions 'some DOS extender', 'some program' (don't expect us to know
>>'Han Chinese System'), has some sort of bug (what sort of bug) (which you
>>never reported before) and generalizes this to 'FreeDOS usually not work'

> Okay! You win I lose.
;)

>>If these people are happy with DOSBOX, why would I want to change that

> If FreeDOS proved "not as good" as DOSBOX, any meaning of that?

> Actually I don't mind, not my project and I'm just a da_n fu_king
> small potato around, but I feel sorry for those spent their time
> coding for FreeDOS.
DOSBOX may be nice - as a gaming platform. unfortunately it requires a full
working OS

there are a lot of cases where you can't assume a working OS

I don't think I wasted my time (allthough it was FAR more time then I
expected when starting)

Tom