On 10/25/07, Pat Villani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Interestingly enough, a lot of responses seem not care about new
> development.  Some even go as far as saying that whatever we have for
> dos extenders, memory managers, etc., is good enough.  Does this mean
> that there is no new development expected from the majority of FreeDOS
> developers?

Indeed, the majority of past FreeDOS developers aren't very active. I
might (help) try to get a new kernel release out of the door when I
have time but that's all I can promise. But that's just collecting bug
fixes and basic maintenance work.

We've always had different goals for FreeDOS:
1. older PCs, too slow for Windows '95
2. embedded
3. emulators
4. recovery, exploiting the fact that DOS programs have unlimited
hardware access, DOS being a 'glorified boot loader'
5. a desktop operating system for modern PCs

Tom is interested in 4, I am interested in 3 (DOSEMU, so for me
compatibility with existing DOS programs is the most important), and
we've seen the occasional embedded developers (I think Lucho is) and
charities coming by as time passed.

5. has seen a vocal *user* minority, but no real contributions to the
FreeDOS kernel. So if you don't see much developer interest in
multi-core, then that's why. Not too mention the huge task to write a
modern operating system that supports modern hardware: the Linux
kernel source is presently 160 times bigger than the FreeDOS kernel
source!

Of course, do not forget Udo Kuhnt, who is in category 5, but instead
decided to work on enhanced DR-DOS, but this being a one-man's project
with a restricted license to boot it is not moving very fast either of
course, notwithstanding the impressive progress considering what it
is.

One might think, why not combine unrestricted hardware access with
something more modern, not restricted to the 16bit 8086 segmentation
-- see
http://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/
but it's a different aim, 100% compatibility not being the primary goal.

And I do think DOS is quite restricted in what you can do with it: the
fact that, no matter how obscure some undocumented detail is, there
will be at least one DOS program that exploits it. That means that for
any extension you cannot just adjust FreeDOS internally as one can
freely do in Linux! But split up fields in structures so the high and
low parts are far apart. Not to mention SMP: do CPU specific parts of
the LoL or SDA always refer to CPU 0? It becomes uglier and uglier...

At which point it just makes more sense to me to let a bigger OS
multitask/process a more or less unchanged DOS, instead of letting DOS
do the multitasking.

Bart