On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:27 AM, Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr> wrote:
> I would tend to agree on that, but it's apparently not a common point of
> view. Not that long ago, I almost triggered an apocalypse on this very
> list by stating that 8086 machines probably do not need a package
> manager. I can only imagine that an installer will be perceived as even
> more fundamental.
>
> Without going into multi-floppies installations, it might be nice for
> the FreeDOS installer to be compatible with the lowest possible machine,
> if only to effectively present an intro screen, help to format the disk
> and copy the most basic stuff to C:\FREEDOS. Even on a full-blown
> Pentium PC there won't be more to do for the installer. Once the most
> basic system is up and running, then people can install any additional
> software via FDNPKG.

I would recommend we keep the updated install process very simple.
Make it straightforward. I think pre-'386 systems are in a very small
minority. We'll be able to address over 99% of all FreeDOS users by
making this a CD-based installation. If you have an 8088 or a '286,
then you'll need floppies to install. I agree that should be a
separate floppy-based distro.

Jim