>What exact partition i.d. is your FAT? Perhaps it needs to be LBA
>aware (0xC)? I don't remember offhand.
Yes, looks like you found the problem.
I changed it in Linux, from b (W95 FAT32) to c (W95 FAT32 LBA).
Then tried to boot my partition (that is now in GRUB since I just
installed a Linux to the side of FreeDOS).
It did not worked better than before. [just blinking cursor]
But then I rebooted with my FreeDOS FDI-USB beta key, and ran fdisk.
There I now saw (W95 FAT32 L[BA was missing].
I DID NOT SAW ANY WAY TO CHANGE THE TYPE OF THE PARTITION IN FreeDOS FDISK!!
So I reinstalled over.
Was happy this time that fdisk or setup did not try to install it's
own MBR so not to break my Linux Grub.
And that time it boots fine.

Looks like FreeDOS FDISK use type b when using FAT32, but should use
type c to enable LBA!!