Am Mittwoch, dem 01. Nov 2017 schrieb Mateusz Viste:

> I planned to go into details, but Eric already did an excellent job at
> that. I will only add, as an extra motive to stop using raw HLT, that the
> "no-hlt" kernel option in Linux didn't get there without reason.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I didn't mean it that way.
But I was happy that I found a solution that worked well for me, and then
you say it's bad. And INT 28 doesn't solve the problem of heavy load for
me. As I read it's just an IRET by default.
And what I read about the other solution also didn't sound right.

Is there a good way of doing a really short hardware-based delay? (BIOS?)
Or better another way to wait for any hardware interrupt?

> > When you
> > run the DOS program on top of a multi-tasking system, you run it in a
> > virtualized or emulated machine.
>
> Bold claim. I know (personally!) people crazy enough to run DOS apps from
> within Windows as well (3.x, 9x... even XP). I doubt your HLT-powered
> game will be well behaving there.

Well, I cannot test it. Believe it or not, but I really don't have access
to any real Windows anymore. But technically it must be a virtual machine.
So I thought it should be able to handle this.

With DOSBox on GNU/Linux it works fine. (AFAIK that's not a virtual
machine, but an emulator.)

> Of course you might provide special builds for these platforms as well,
> but this won't prevent people from eventually trying to run the DOS
> build on Windows. And seeing it crashing there or catching fire is
> no good marketing.

In fact I made a build for Windows which uses the Windows-API,
with the MinGW64 cross-compiler. But I could only test it with
wineconsole so far.

... and mainly it can be build for Unix-like systems,
tested with GNU/Linux and NetBSD.
(Most of the system-specific code is in "textmode.c", if you want to have
a look at it.)

Your and Erics answers are appreciated.

--
AKFoerster <https://AKFoerster.de/>