> On Jan 1, 2019, at 1:31 PM, thraex <thr...@numericable.fr> wrote:
>

> 29.12.2018 18:18 tarihinde Jerome Shidel yazdı:
>

>>> Finally, if there is other stuff that can be translated for FreeDOS,
>>> feel free to yell at me.
>>
>> :-)
>
> Well, you should have yelled :-P Looking at all this scrolling text, I
> noticed that CuteMouse wasn't translated in Turkish (it wasn't listed on
> <http://freedoslocal.sf.net> so I missed it). You can grab the archive
> containing the Turkish and French translations (there's only a couple of
> typo fixes for the file in French) from
> <http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09172634250299151850>. The
> encoding and line endings should be correct. If there are other such
> packages, I would happily translate them too. Just give me some pointers.

Sorry, I didn’t notice. Displaying the found translations is a new feature in
the build environment. I know there are a couple missin from the German
translations. So, I figured it might be nice that you were shown during that
phase.

>> Generally, I build it locally in VirtualBox using openSUSE Leap. I
>> quickly go over the process on the builder wiki
>>  https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS/builder/wikis/home at gitlab. But other than
>> initial creation of the VM, it is exactly the
>> same as building it on the cloud.
>
> I managed to build it locally with Fedora 28 in VirtualBox thanks to
> your video. That said, I noticed several problems, just to bring them to
> your attention:

Neat eh? Super easy to build one. :-)

> * If the installation language is Russian, the text is garbled, no
> Cyrillic letters are displayed.

Yeah, that’s a known issue. Cant really think of a “good” way to solve it.

Here’s the problem.

Language and translation change when that language is highlighted on the menu.
However, the Language settings, Codepage and font are not set until that
language is actually selected.
This requires loading some TSRs. They may be a way to unload them. But, I don’t
know if or what it is.

I have a bunch of stuff I’ve written over the years that can load fonts. Most
recently are the QFONT tools included with PGME. They can convert to/from
simple bit fonts, load qfonts temporarily, or turn them into a TSR. I may do
something there to temp load/unload the Russian font on the menu.

I still need to do some more work in FDI to be able to handle installation from
LiveCD-Type2.

LiveCD-Type1 is mostly ready. My plan is to put both to the Devs and Community
to decide which will be the LiveCD.

> * When I choose Turkish in the installer, some letters are changed, for
> instance ı becomes an i, ğ becomes a g, ş becomes an s. The text is
> still legible and understandable though.

I think that may be my fault. The I’ve been unable to figure out what DOS
character set is correct in BBEdit. So, it refuses to save them unless I change
them. I had to do a bunch of adjustments to frame sizes and line breaks for all
of the translations so they displayed properly.

If you fix them in the versions that are in the source tree, I can update them
so they aren’t mangled. Just avoid any changes that would require me needing to
adjust them.

> * It wasn't possible to install FD13LGCY.ISO in VirtualBox which said
> "Unfortunately, this method of installation is not supported on this
> hardware platform. Please try a different installation method".

Yes, this was an issue on 1.2 as well. VirtualBox really doesn’t seem to like
booting FreeDOS using the original/classic el torito specification.
So, the installer checks to see if it is on VB on that media and drops out. It
could then be rerun manually. But, it will fail.

> It
> seemed to work with AQEMU though until the "Gathering some information
> to prepare for the installation..." step. Then I got "Unable to locate
> the installation packages. A reboot may help" and it becomes a loop.

Not really much of a qemu user. I’ll have to investigate.

> The
> same is also true for FD13FLOP.IMG with VirtualBox.

Hmmm, should work. I have tested the actual install for a little while. I may
have broken something.

> * A ver command returns the following:
> FreeCom version 0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap [Aug 28 2006 00:29:00]
> whereas FreeCOM 0.84-pre6 has been released in September (see
> <https://github.com/FDOS/freecom/releases>). Wouldn't it make sense to
> use this more recent version?
>
> That's all for now, as I couldn't install FreeDOS 1.3 Beta. Hopefully
> when I'm able to install I'll have more stuff to bother you with. :-P

If you would like a pleasant surprise... run
make cdrom release
:-)