(This was sent to me off-list, but it belongs with the rest of the
discussion, so I am replying to the list)

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 6:39 PM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Jim,

> >> Why, actually?
>
> > Probably because it's free and has a graphical interface
> > and runs on popular operating systems.
>
> Just like Bochs, QEMU, DOSBOX, DOSEMU2 and others?

QEMU is available for Windows and Mac. I know Bochs, but I don't know
how many other people do; Bochs is available for Linux and Windows,
but not Mac.

DOSEMU and DOSEMU2 are only available for Linux. And unfortunately,
Linux doesn't have the same marketshare that Windows does.

> Not sure what you mean by graphical interface, can
> you edit the config by mouse? Apparently one can
> not edit the option which make VGA work that way?

That's right, VirtualBox is a point-and-click interface. You can see
screenshots in the wiki:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox

> [..]
> Sorry but that thread about which games may or may
> not work is frustrating me given that there always
> seems to be SOME context in which some games fail.

Ending up with weird graphics on VirtualBox is okay if it's just a
VirtualBox config. That's why I was asking if someone who knows more
about VirtualBox can suggest a config for me to use. I don't use
VirtualBox most of the time, so I'm unfamiliar with it. I've tried
changing the graphics controller option in VirtualBox - there are only
a few options - but I'm not getting it.

> I have filed a bug report which made DOSEMU2 people
> repair the Paku Paku graphics, now you complain that
> "please send me a postcard" would be unacceptably
> commercial for an explicitly public domain (!) game.
>[..]

The concept of "cardware" and "beerware" is not new, and there's been
lots of conversations elsewhere about how this is not "open source."
You can find similar discussions in Linux distro email lists. For
example, I know Fedora had a similar conversation some years ago.

And games are not supposed to be a big deal. Games aren't "core" like
other parts of the operating system. And games become popular or not
pretty quickly, depending on the game. A currently popular game might
not be so popular next year. Whatever. Swapping out a game shouldn't
be a major emotional investment.

Jim