Well, I may as well throw my two cents in here. :)

On computers using a standard ATX power supply, pin #9 on the connector
provides power to the motherboard at all times as long as the PSU itself has AC
wall power power coming in.

Modern motherboards use this "Standby" power to run small always-on power
management circuitry (I believe this is integrated directly into the chipset
these days) which monitors all sources of a "power on" signal, be it the power
button on the case, or a LAN controller, or a built-in watchdog timer, or
what-have you. When such a signal is received, this power management circuitry
pulls pin #16 low to power up all the other voltage lines of the PSU, which
fully turns on the computer.

Optionally, some BIOSes allow the user to choose whether or not to instantly
power up when this pin begins outputting voltage (e.g. when wall power is
restored).

So yes, the motherboard does fire up some circuitry as soon as it gets power,
but it doesn't boot per se.

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.