Hello Bret,

My overall point was that you can't turn on the PSU (to boot the computer) with
ACPI because ACPI only starts working after the computer (main part of the
motherboard) already has power and has booted an OS.  You can't turn the PSU on
with software (like ACPI) that requires the PSU to already be completely turned
on, but you can turn the PSU off.  While there is some overlap between what the
BIOS does and what ACPI does, they are two completely separate things.

Why would ACPI somehow have to be less powerful than the rest of the
computer firmware?

I have not finished reading the ACPI specification, but my understanding
is, it is essentially a series of tables (and bytecodes) that tell an OS
(e.g. MS-DOS, Windows) about the peripherals and features a machine has,
and some information on how to control them.

Nothing prevents the ACPI tables from exposing to the OS whatever
functionality the firmware might have, if the ACPI tables so choose.

Thank you!

--
https://gitlab.com/tkchia :: https://github.com/tkchia