On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 23:14, Bret Johnson <bretj...@juno.com> wrote:

> You all are missing the point.  As soon as the motherboard gets power, it
> starts booting.  That is how it has always worked.

No, Bret, *you* are missing the point.

This is not about the _motherboard_ getting power. It is about the
_computer_ getting power: when mains electricity to the PSU is
interrupted and then later it comes back again. As in a power cut.

This is a standard firmware setting on many PCs, both with BIOS and
UEFI firmware. It is usually called “Restore on AC/Power Loss” or “AC
Power Recovery”.

Here is a description:

https://www.technewsworld.com/story/how-to-set-up-your-computer-to-auto-restart-after-a-power-outage-86034.html

Here is another:

https://www.wintips.org/setup-computer-to-auto-power-on-after-power-outage/

It mainly applies to desktop computers.

What it does is very simple. If the computer was on and running and
then mains power was lost, then if this firmware setting is on, then
when the power is restored, the PC will start immediately without the
power button being pressed.

If the setting is off, the PC will not turn on and someone needs to
press the button.

The setting does not usually apply to laptops because if their battery
is working, when external power is removed, nothing happens; the
computer just runs off battery.

What Ladislav Lacina was asking is if it is possible to alter this
firmware setting _in software_ by a program running on the PC.

As far as I know, no, this is not possible. It would generally be a
horrible security hole if it were possible.

From DOS, though, possibly yes. There were generic setup programs;
here is an example:
http://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/bios.php

However, this was not a standard generic setting, so I doubt it would
be doable without a program specifically tailored to that motherboard.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com