I correct myself.  I was using ide-cd.sys on another machine I was
working with a couple weeks ago.  On this machine I have been using the
default uide.sys.

But pursuing the driver-as-a-suspect angle anyway, I found a Lite-on DOS
driver and installed that.  CD playing now works. Thank you for the
idea, Eric!!

If there is a sad note, it is that uide.sys has fallen short on two
machines in a row.  On the other one, I had no CD function at all.  In
this one, I had data CD function, but no audio CD.