Thanks for the clarifications.  I could add though, that I tried "CDROM2
PLAY01 F:" and it responded with something like "F: is not an audio
drive, but < F: > is."

The CD-ROM cable is known working (confirmed via Win 98), and I turned
up the CD volume in the sound card mixer.

But it may be that the drive lacks the built-in audio playing function
that your program requires.  It has a headphone jack and volume dial,
but no Play/Stop/Next/Previous controls like older drives did.  (It's a
48x CD-ROM, a Lite-on LTN-485S manufactured in 2000.)

I hadn't thought about the CD driver as a suspect.  A couple weeks ago I
had a thread named "For CD: Error reading from drive D: data area: drive
not ready" in which I detailed my struggles with getting a working
configuration.  I'm currently using a driver named ide-cd.sys.  I don't
know where it came from originally, but I used it successfully on a
machine a few years ago.

Your "alternative way" is also referred to as digital audio extraction?
I understood from Mateusz Viste that mpxplay will do that, though I
don't know how and haven't pursued that.  I think it may require a
plugin (CDW).  He also said it would draw more heavily on the CPU -- and
this machine only has a Pentium 150.