Hi,

I hate to dredge all of this up, but ....

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM, John Hupp <free...@prpcompany.com> wrote:

> I correct myself.  I was using ide-cd.sys on another machine I was
> working with a couple weeks ago.  On this machine I have been using the
> default uide.sys.
>
> But pursuing the driver-as-a-suspect angle anyway, I found a Lite-on DOS
> driver and installed that.  CD playing now works. Thank you for the
> idea, Eric!!
>
> If there is a sad note, it is that uide.sys has fallen short on two
> machines in a row.  On the other one, I had no CD function at all.  In
> this one, I had data CD function, but no audio CD.

John, which exact version of UIDE are you using? I'm assuming latest
on iBiblio, which is "Mar-05". You may want to try older versions. For
that particular reason (among others), we often keep them in case of
unforeseen regressions.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/ellis/old/

Actually, that's the reason I never uploaded "Mar-18" for him. If you
want, I can email you that version, but I doubt it's much better!

You could also try his new (closed source) drivers. (Yes, he directly
blames me for closing sources. Sigh. Totally imaginary offense, but
hey, what can you do? Totally against FreeDOS and SourceForge, alas.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15785527/dos/file/drivers.zip

In fact, if you're really adventurous (and a glutton for punishment),
email him directly! I wouldn't really recommend it, but if you insist
on knowing why they don't work (assuming you've tried all of the
above), that may be your only answer. But keep in mind that Jack is
not exactly a friendly person.

http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=uide

P.S. Honestly, I don't even want to mention any of this. It's too
annoying. But, for clarity, if you really want to know, those are your
only options.