Hi!

> With cdrom2ui, I ran these two commands:
>> CDROM2 PLAY01 < F: >
>> CDROM PLAY01 < F: >
>
> In both cases it responded "Error reading from drive F: data area:
> drive not ready."

Only the larger CDROM2 tool supports audio commands
and you have to omit the < >, so the proper command
would be: "CDROM2 PLAY01 F:" However, this only tells
the drive to use the built-in audio playing function
which modern drives might lack. The sound gets output
to the headphone jack of your CD drive (if it has the
connector) and the output for 3- or 4-pin cables to
your soundcard or mainboard (if it has that). If you
use the latter output, you also have to have a cable
connected and the volume control on your soundcard
properly set. Last but not least, not all drivers of
CD/DVD/BluRay drives might support audio commands.

The alternative way is to read out the raw audio data
and then either store that as WAV, convert it to OGG
or MP3, or play it directly. I think this is now the
more common way of accessing audio on CD via a PC :-)

Regards, Eric