Dennis, we've already had this pointless conversation several times
over. I'm not sure why you keep rehashing it.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 3:06 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The number of people who still have actual need to run DOS is a vanishingly
> small fraction of the PC market.

This is a FreeDOS mailing list. The fact that anybody here uses
Windows is off-topic, irrelevant, and (mostly) accidental.

We don't need constant reminders about how small our marketshare is.
We frankly don't care because there is nothing you can add to DOS that
will "fix" it. Some people will never be happy no matter what we do.
Some people, like you, can't see the forest for the trees.

> MS doesn't care about DOS, and *shouldn't*.

MS doesn't participate in this mailing list, nor do they have anything
to do with running it. They are not involved. We are not here asking
them to do anything.

You don't have to tell us (over and over) how insignificant we are.
It's not productive. We are not a billion-dollar company and never
will be. Get over it. If that makes you think so much less of us, I
suggest you find a suitable Windows forum to coddle you.

> The folks they consider their customers stopped running DOS and DOS apps
> decades back.

MS has more than enough money to do whatever they want. Even if there
were billions in potential DOS revenue, they still wouldn't care. They
definitely don't need any more money. They're still a business, but
they are beyond worry. Actually, they make tons more from the "cloud"
and Office 365 than Windows these days. They have diversified a lot.
(Heck, they squandered $26 billion on LinkedIn! How does that
technically "improve" Windows NT at all or gain further customers for
Windows??)

But MS' potential business strategies are off-topic here.

> There are a variety of reasons why Windows (*and* Linux) *are* better than
> DOS.

Irrelevant to DOS users, especially on this mailing list. You should
not be trying to convert anyone here to the Windows religion. There
are plenty of other forums for that.

> The folks who *do* care about DOS are mostly hobbyists who like playing with
> retro tech.

And apparently contrarians who like beating a dead horse.

> Most of what I do on computers these days can't be done under DOS.

Like complaining about how much DOS "sux0rz!!!1". Get with it, FreeDOS
devs, Dennis needs to whine, and he needs it NOW!

> Ultimately, it comes down to money.  The sort of support you would
> like is stuff the people who could *do* it expect to be *paid* for.

I've never seen anyone pretend to be willing to work writing DOS
drivers for money. Those people don't exist. I think you're
overestimating the potential developers for such tasks.

> It's what they do for a living.  They aren't going to do it free for
> fun.  There's next to no money in DOS these days, so it won't happen.

I agree that bounties do exist in other OSes, and a lot of development
is sponsored by corporations. Still, that is a small fraction of all
work done. That talent base is extremely small and not to be taken for
granted. We expect miracles, but we're lucky when we can still do the
basics.

Again, these so-called DOS-savvy developers don't exist. They just
don't. They aren't willing to work for money because they don't have
the appropriate skills. I've never heard of anyone, appropriately
inclined, whine about lack of money. Developers are very few and far
in between. It's not nearly as common as you think.

> The world changes, and we must change with it.  Sitting still isn't normally
> an option.

Patches welcome. Otherwise, shut up and get out. Sorry (not sorry!) to
be crass, but it's not conducive to further development to just
constantly berate people, saying, "Change! You suck! You're old!
Improve!"

None of us are that naive. We're all well aware of Windows, Linux,
macOS [sic], and various others. You didn't tell us anything we didn't
already know. We don't need you to constantly remind us how crappy we
are. It just doesn't solve anything. It's frankly annoying.