Hi Fred

I know it's a silly question but are you sure that file exists and is
readable by you? The fact that it's calling GCAread means it's doing the
right thing and support gca files. You can also extra the mean of the
highest prob label (-nth 0) and the label itself (-nth 1) using
mri_convert:

mri_convert -nth 0 \
/usr/local/freesurfer-5.0.0-cent4-64/average/RB_all_2008-03-26.gca \
label_means.mgz

mri_convert -nth 1 \
/usr/local/freesurfer-5.0.0-cent4-64/average/RB_all_2008-03-26.gca \
labels.mgz