External Email - Use Caution

Hi Doug,

For your questions:

1. "Not sure what you mean by in the ROI. Are you trying to permute
across space? That generally does not work because the points are not
exchangeable across space."

By "In the ROI", I mean for all vertices listed in the label file.
Here, I am talking about a test subject and n control subjects, they
are all considered in the same reference subject space - fsaverage. A
ROI is defined by a label file for the subject fsaverage. So, I am
comparing the test subject and control group on the same ROI region,
vertex by vertex. I want to permute points in the test subject and
points in all subjects in control groups.

I am not talking about permuting vertex locations; I am talking about
permuting values (thickness in my case) from subjects on each vertex.
For example, for vertex i, I have one value (v0) from test subject,
and n values (v1, v2,...vn) from control subjects:

test subject          control subjects

v0                    v1, v2, ...... vn

One way of permutation would be:

test subject          control subjects

v1                    v0, v2, ...... vn

Is this a reasonable way to do permutation?

2. "Not sure. You cannot discriminate between the groups when you are
doing permutation"

By doing the permutation many (say 1000) times, I want to get the
probability distribution of the sampling (observed or test) data
inside the ROI area, so that I can decide if I should reject or accept
null hypothesis based on cluster-wise significance level. What
problems do you think I have in this idea?

Thanks a lot!