Adam Charrett wrote:
> I've CC the list as this will be useful for everyone...

Woops, I'd assumed the reply to was set to the list, I'd normally hit
reply to all but obviously not this time.
> Been v busy this week which is why I'm kinda answer several emails at once
> here...

Oh I know that feeling and thanks for the quick answer.
> I see you've found the wiki page for the dependencies (I'd forgotten I'd
> been that organised) so I don't need to answer that questions.
>
> On Tue, October 20, 2009 11:36 pm, John Molohan wrote:
>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I've just tried this out and installed freevo with
>> --prefix=~/freevo-svn. Freevo works nicely and if I mute in freevo I get
>> the new osd mute screen but when I play files with mplayer I don't get
>> the new osd. When seeking back and forth I just see the usual mplayer
>> progress bar. Have I missed something? I've turned on debugging but I
>> can't see anything obvious. I'm running MPlayer
>> 1.0-1.rc2.18.2plf2009.0-4.3.2 which is a PLF release for mandriva.
>>

> This is because people had complained about my attempt :-), so Duncan
> removed the dialog.x11_overlay_display from being activated by default.

I remember that now :)
> You'll need to add a plugin.activate('dialog.x11_overlay_display') to your
> local_conf.py file. If you haven't installed kaa.display it will tell you
> at startup.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

Perfect, that was all that was missing. Now a couple more questions,
hope you don't mind :)

When I fast forward or rewind the osd flashes up and disappears
repeatedly every second or so. I guess this is a side effect of having
to have mplayer seek as opposed to actually fast forward. Is it possible
to set the time that the osd is displayed for? If so I'm guessing I
could just set it to say 3 seconds by default and the repeated fast
forward events freevo receives through lirc and passes to mplayer would
just result it the osd drawing over itself resulting in a smooth
display, or am I wrong here.

My other question is how do I get that nice info display Heene shows in
his video? I'd guessed it might be the 'e' key which I have mapped on my
remote but no joy there.

Last point, I think it would make sense to leave the osd on screen
whilst the file is paused, what do you think? Possibly the same might
apply for showing the info screen, leave it on screen until the same key
is pressed then remove it.

John

P.S.  I hope that I might be able to port some of the other skins to use
the new osd over the Christmas break