Recent talk of memes and original sources reminds me that, just the
other day, I was reading John Venn's book on logic (published 5 years
before he wrote the paper which gave the name "Venn diagrams" to the
familiar diagrams that had been around much longer), and discovered
that he spends about 3 pages discussing the probability of producing
the plays of Shakespeare (he doesn't mention the sonnets...) by
random-drawing-with-replacement from a bag (not an urn) with the
latin letters in it (he doesn't mention whitespace, either).  The
typewriter had only been invented about 5 years before *that*, and no
monkeys are involved (though an idiot shows up shortly thereafter,
when he points out that by a *systematic* "mechanism" (essentially, a
recursive enumeration of all finite strings of letters) that "even an
idiot" (viz., Turing's "idealized human computing agent") could do,
the plays would *surely* be produced eventually.  (Venn further
points out that, in either case, to actually separate the wheat from
the chaff you would more or less have to have a Shakespeare on hand
to read the output and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.)

A cursory search with Google found no indication either of an earlier
instance of this (proto-)meme, or of anyone before me ever having
left a written (and Google-ized) record of noticing it for what it
was.  In particular, the Wikipedia article on what they call "the
infinite monkey theorem" doesn't mention Venn (or anyone earlier, for
that matter).  Anyone know anything?

Lee Rudolph

P.S. No monkeys were harmed in the preparation of this message.