Nick -

Still, me being supposedly a scholar, and all, makes it a bit rough.

So, I guess I */am/* embarrassed. Sorry!

It was all I could do to not smart-assedly claim you had sucker-punched us with that quote. But on followup of the (mis)quote, the mangling was minimal... the spirit was preserved... it was an "honest" mistake.

If anyone got sucker punched it was Penn Jillette himself who is implicated as the biggest disseminator of the misquote. The hub with the most spokes in the transmission network as it were.

It brings up some interesting issues. In particular how the ease of communication (personal and mass) has lead to much faster dissemination of (dis)information. It seems there must be a parallel between this and the revolutions in finance and economy where money was made more liquid/fluid/lubricated to speed things up and ultimately change things qualitatively. I'm sure we are already way past that point with information now as well. Language itself started the game, writing helped it transcend space and time, then various steps in publishing technology (from scriptoria to printing presses to newspapers to electronic printing to blogging).

Loosely Coupled Distributed Computing Paradigms include the possibility/necessity of working with possibly flawed or dated information, accepting the overhead of possibly having to roll back a local calculation when revised information comes in. It seems like strategies of late binding and rollback are necessary today. But is it possible?

I feel that this is how I read news, possibly always have, but even moreso with the Internet. While there are a number of hoaxes running around at any time (doesn't just have to be April 1), there is always a plethora of early misinformation coming out of any event.

Was it Mark Twain who claimed to always read the news a week (or two) late because by then you knew whether what was reported was true or not?

I'm working on a DoD funded project which includes trying to formally deal with this problem... of multiple qualities of uncertainty in information and the ability to not only propogate information and uncertainty through a knowledge network but to encode and propogate contradictory or revised information.

I'm curious how many of the educated, intelligent people on this list handle this problem personally?

How do you know what you know? There were standards around Scholarship (as Nick points out) and there are standards about journalism and sourcing, but... obviously those standards are just reference standards, they get ignored, bent, abused, fumbled all the time.

If we have ethnographers in the house, it also seems that there are methods for teasing apart the facts from the stories we tell to string the facts together... multiple observers can report the same events but still draw radically different conclusions about the implications.

- Steve