From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Douglas Roberts
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 7:00 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Fwd: America and the Middle East: Murder in Libya | The
Economist

Of course, Owen, we could be asking the same thing about the "good" Catholic
community regarding all the years of child sex abuse and coverups in that
religion.

--Doug

On Sep 14, 2012 4:30 PM, "Owen Densmore" <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

My interest is not the extremists, but the fact that the leaders and
majority do not protest against them, do not make themselves heard.

So it is about religion, but it could equally be about the NRA or racism or
human rights or whatever.  Where the majority is silent.  And the leaders do
not lead.

Not that I don't understand the religious issues, and your clear points
against them (and with which I am sympathetic), but that I'm looking at
another, broader issue that seems to appear not only in religions but many
other areas.

Is it not striking to you that the leaders and majority are silent?  We know
many Muslims here in Santa Fe who are sane and gracious.  They deplore the
extreme events. But they have not yet found a platform for inserting Islam,
the Good Parts, and their deploring the extremists, into the public
discourse.

   -- Owen

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Douglas Roberts <d...@parrot-farm.net>