To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Fwd: America and the Middle East: Murder in Libya | TheEconomist

My interest is not the extremists, but the fact that the leaders and majority do not protest against them, do not make themselves heard.

So it is about religion, but it could equally be about the NRA or racism or human rights or whatever. Where the majority is silent. And the leaders do not lead.

Not that I don't understand the religious issues, and your clear points against them (and with which I am sympathetic), but that I'm looking at another, broader issue that seems to appear not only in religions but many other areas.

Is it not striking to you that the leaders and majority are silent? We know many Muslims here in Santa Fe who are sane and gracious. They deplore the extreme events. But they have not yet found a platform for inserting Islam, the Good Parts, and their deploring the extremists, into the public discourse.

  -- Owen