I've been lucky enough to talk to Stu (last time in January; we've corresponded
within the week) about some of these ideas. He *is* careless with references.
But I'm sure I've heard him mention Prigogine as he talked. These ideas have
been fermenting for several years, and I'm not surprised he overlooks
precedents.

I say lucky enough, because he's inspiring, and often enough, persuasive. God
knows I don't understand everything he says, and long to edit what I do
understand. But he's an alpine point hisownself, an endlessly provocative
thinker, and I'm happy to overlook some lapses for the privilege of listening.

Stu can be extremely generous. My first visit to the Santa Fe Institute was in
1991-92, and I can remember sitting alone in a room looking at stuff I'd never
encountered before, and wondering WTF? But I could always knock on Stu's
half-open door, and ask. He answered. Yes, it was very much part of the
Institute ethos then, that you explained anything you could to anybody who
asked, but that started a friendship I deeply value.

Pamela