Russ,

I don't know wtf I am.  I have always thought of  myself as a scientist, but
I am sure that many on this list have their doubts.  I am certainly not a
"hard" scientist.

I was hoping by my comment to lure you into a more lengthy explication of
the idea that real scientists don't think in terms of causes.  But now you
have smoked me out instead, so here goes.

Many of the philosophers I know, from time to time like to talk about
causality as if it were a sophomoric illusion, citing Hume, or some sort of
weird quantum theory.  But that does not keep them from using causal
reasoning freely in their everyday lives.  I have never heard a philosopher
who was reluctant to say things like "my car stalled because it ran out of
gas".  I think what they mean when they deny causality is the denial of
something that, as a behaviorist, I never thought to entertain: some deep
gear-and-cog mechanism lurking behind experience.   If one once concedes
that all one means by causality is some forms of relation between previous
and successive events such that a previous event makes a successive event
more likely, then determining causality is just an exercise in
experimentation.  The sort of thing that all scientists do all the time.
Thus, while "causality" may be unfounded in some fastidious philosophical
sense, it is by no means empty.  I'll  quote below from a footnote from a
paper we just wrote which tries to preempt criticism our use of "causal"
arguments in the paper.  The footnote makes reference to work by a colleague
and friend of mine, here in Santa Fe, Frank Wimberly.  I will copy him here
to try and get him to speak up.  He tends to lurk, until I say something
really foolish, which no doubt I have.  The whole paper is at
http://www.behavior.org/resource.php?id=675 . So, here is the footnote:

Some might argue that in falling back on a more vernacular understanding of
causality we have paid too great a price in rigor. However, as our Seminar
colleague Frank Wimberly pointed out, the vernacular understanding of
casualty is potentially rigorous. Research investigating what aspects of the
world lay people are sensitive to when assigning causality suggests people
are sensitive to particular types of probabilistic relationships (Cheng,
Novick, Liljeholm, & Ford, 2007) and that certain types of experiments are
better than others at revealing such relationships (Glymour & Wimberly,
2007).

Frank?

Nick